MEDIATION SKILLS TRAINING INSTITUTE
The Lombard Mennonite Peace Center seeks to proclaim Christ’s good news, the gospel of peace and justice, and to be active in the sacred ministry of reconciliation, wherever and whenever we can.
MEDIATION SKILLS TRAINING INSTITUTE
All this is from God,who reconciled us to himself through Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation.
2 Corinthians 5:18
Dates and Format for 2020: Out of concern for the health and safety of all involved, we have decided to present our Mediation Skills Training Institute for Church Leaders online via Zoom for the remainder of the year. The dates for those four sessions are August 3-7, August 31-September 4, October 5-9, and November 16-20, 2020. For complete details, please consult this brochure. To register, either mail us the registration form on the brochure, or visit our Registration page and click on the link to our online ticket agency. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at Admin@LMPeaceCenter.org.
Conflict is an inevitable part of life, whether in the home, school, community, church, or workplace. Having the skills to function effectively in emotionally intense, conflicted situations is important for all of us, especially those of us who are leaders. Lombard Mennonite Peace Center has trained thousands of church leaders from a wide range of denominations in the skills that are needed to deal with conflict in the church setting through its Mediation Skills Training Institute for Church Leaders.
The institute includes lectures, discussion, and guided practice in role-plays. Active and practical in focus, the sessions emphasize hands-on skills training and real-life role-plays based on the kinds of conflicts faced by participants.
Who Will Benefit
- PASTORS and INTERIM PASTORS of all denominations— to enhance skills for managing
conflict in the church.
- JUDICATORY LEADERS— Bishops; Conference Ministers; District Superintendents; Diocesan,
Presbytery, Synod Staff– to assist pastors and congregations in handling conflicts.
- DENOMINATIONAL OFFICIALS and CHURCH CONSULTANTS— to bring healing in the midst
of divisive church fights.
- LAY LEADERS and PASTOR-PARISH COMMITTEE MEMBERS— to receive valuable leadership training to benefit the church, while also gaining insight for peaceful conflict transformation in the home.
- ADMINISTRATORS— to introduce conflict transformation to the organizations they oversee.
- MANAGERS and SUPERVISORS— to help workers diminish conflict and enhance productivity.
- COLLEGE and SEMINARY STUDENTS— to gain hands-on skills training not typically offered inregular classes.
- ATTORNEYS— to gain skills in alternative dispute resolution procedures.
- COMMUNITY MEDIATION CENTER STAFF and VOLUNTEERS— to acquire additional skills in a transformational model of mediation for working with both individuals and groups.
All sessions of MSTI scheduled for 2020 will be held online via Zoom. We have tentative plans to gather in person for MSTI next year:
June 21-25, 2021
Scarsdale Congregational Church, UCC
One Heathcote Road ~ Scarsdale, NY
REGISTRATION & DISCOUNTS
To register online for an upcoming MSTI, go to https://www.brownpapertickets.com/producer/720852.
If you prefer to send in a registration form with a check, please fill out the form that can be found on our brochure.
LMPC is also available to present the Mediation Skills Training Institute in your location upon the invitation of a hosting group. Typically, such groups include denominational or judicatory bodies interested in training a large number of people to be available to their churches as mediators and trainers in conflict transformation. For more information, click here. For a list of previous MSTI sponsors, click here.
Do you want to offer an LMPC training event for members of your congregation or organization?
The Mediation Skills Training Institute for Church Leader–or any of our other workshops–can be presented on a contract basis for churches, judicatories, or denominational offices interested in providing training for a group of people in their region.
Benefits of sponsoring a contracted event:
Your church or judicatory might benefit from sponsoring an LMPC training event if you:
- Are experiencing conflict or high levels of group anxiety
- Are navigating or preparing for significant changes that might produce anxiety
- Want to equip clergy, staff, or lay leaders how to respond to anxiety as church leaders
- Want to train a mediation team within your congregation or judicatory
- Want to develop resources to help your church function in a healthier manner
- Have other needs related to leadership, conflict, or anxiety in the church
Churches of all denominations have found the value of hosting the LMPC events, including workshops and the Mediation Skills Training Institute for Church Leaders (MSTI). Check out the Testimonial section at the bottom of this page, or go to our Testimonials page for a more extensive list of quotes by judicatory leaders and previous MSTI hosts.
How to sponsor a training event:
If you are interested in learning more about sponsoring a particular training event in your region, please contact LMPC at admin@LMPeaceCenter.org or call 630-627-0507 to explore this option.
You can contract with LMPC to hold an event that is “in-house” (registration is open only to a select group), or an event that is open to the general public. “In-house” events would not be announced on this website. Arrangements and registration would be made with the LMPC staff person leading the in-house sponsored event.
Attending a sponsored event:
Events that are sponsored by judicatory and denominational offices and are open to registrations outside of their sponsoring group are announced on this page. Please note that to register for a sponsored event, you must register through the sponsoring organization instead of through LMPC. Registration information is provided on the event’s brochure.
Churches of all denominations have discovered the benefit of hosting our Mediation Skills Training Institute. Here’s a small sample of what past participants have said about this invaluable training event:
“Best continuing education I ever took!” ~ Presbyterian Pastor
“It was one of the most meaningful, instructive, and cathartic continuing ed opportunities I’ve ever been privileged to attend.” ~ Episcopal Priest
“The best and most thorough model for mediation with individuals and congregations that I have experienced in more than three decades of ordained ministry.” ~ Lutheran Bishop
“This is the golden Globe winner of conflict resolution programs. I highly recommend it!” ~ Episcopal Bishop
VIDEO – Why I Love the Lombard Mediation Process
Lombard Mennonite Peace Center
Lombard, IL 60148